Friday, September 24, 2010

A Public Art Project


I work for the Idaho Commission on the Arts as well as the Idaho Falls Arts Council and with the Idaho Commission on the Arts my job entails serving as a Public Art Advisor for the southern 1/2 of Idaho. I have many cities and towns that I oversee and help support in programming for public art. Luckily for me I worked on a project here in Idaho Falls with my former boss and on Monday we unveiled the art. The project started in Downtown Idaho Falls and included 20 benches that are essentially public art. We expanded to the greenbelt and have 12 benches installed currently and we will have 10 more benches installed in the Spring. The personal connection for myself to the unveiling was pretty significant as well. The City decided we would be able to install 3 of the benches in the Hilda McClure garden and on Monday we did just that. Here are the photos from the event. My Aunt Hilda donated a generous amount of money to the City of Idaho Falls before we had a greenbelt and her contribution started the greenbelt construction and paid for a large part of the greenbelt.




 The benches are titled "Honkers" and you can see they easily can seat one person. Pretty fun!