Monday, February 14, 2011

1 lb of Butter

Last night I made 3 of Julia Child's recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking

I only used 1 lb of butter.

I made one of her potato dishes: 2 cups of cheese, a stick of butter and
1 1/2 cups of heavy cream.

Could not believe it. I do have to admit.
I replaced the cream with skim milk.

I mean seriously. Seriously. 

To top that off we had devil's food cake. 

I told Chris....we have to slow down. I think this will be weekend cooking. 

However, I am making beef bourguignon tonight. Did you know you brown the beef in bacon fat before putting it in the oven in wine and beef brooth for 3 hours. Sounds pretty delish. After tonight...we'll be back to hot dogs, homemade pizzas, and spaghetti...these are the work week staples.

How again do the french stay so thin?

In other news...and bad timing. I think Chris and I are going to start training to run a 5k.