Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentines Day-We'll start with dessert first


I made a cake. I don't  bake or make treats too often. I don't know why (or actually I do know why...I would eat them all so I just don't make them...that way we don't have them around to eat)

(Is that terrible? Cole told me it's terrible. He also told me Grandma Trudy makes
6 cakes a week and I should ask her to teach me to make a cake)

So I made a cake. A devil's food cake with pink frosting and it was DELISH. 



So while we waited for Chris to come home the kids colored and drew. Cole was working on his 'landmark' poster for school and he drew the Golden Gate Bridge. Carter was just working on some 'monsters'. His favorite thing to draw these days.
I set the table with new caramel chocolate covered apples to add to our devil's food cake dessert. 

We didn't cut any calories this Valentine's Day.


So here it is. Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon. All 16 oz of bacon that took 3 special and specific steps to prepare before adding to the meat that was simmered in the bacon fat. It was pretty good. Next to that is a potato dish. The second potato dish in 2 days.

We are out of butter. We are out of cream. We are out of cheese.

These are Julia Child's favorite ingredients.
Also, don't crowd the mushrooms when sauteing them in butter. All very good cooking rules.


Last night was Tuesday. 
Taco Tuesday to be exact. I picked up 9 qty $1.50 tacos from Cafe Rio. 
My favorite taco place. Chris said the taco's were not nearly as good as our two day Valentine's dinner and dessert feast. I think he was on his best behavior for saying that. I sure appreciated it.