Wednesday, August 19, 2009

COLE AND HIS FRIENDS

Cole and Miles-Best Buddies
(notice how rosy their faces are...they were running around and around playing tag)
So it begins....the school year...the birthday parties........endless birthday parties...and I can't say "no" to Cole. He looooves the parties. It's all the kids talk about for that week...who's party is next and where it is at.

Funny story about birthday parties. I'm starting to embrace my roll as the PTO mom...the soccer mom...the busy full of life supporter of my kids...cheering them on...maybe a little too loud?! So Cole normally is invited to about 3 or 4 birthday parties a month. No kidding. His friends LOVE to party. Thursday night was another party at Tautphaus Park. We were preparing to leave and I ran to Fred Meyer's to pick up a small gift. I planned to spend $5. Seriously...4 or 5 birthday parties a month...that adds up. So I picked up the card and bought a box with a Lego racer....

Suprise....suprise...Cole and Chris had the same reaction to the gift...

"oh we already have that one!" the 2 Smith boys told me.

Sometime Cole is "little Chris"....


So the birthday party went ok. It was for Mark who turned 6 and went to Cole's Montessorri school last year. Mark is going to public school this year so it was a mixture of kids Cole knew and didn't know. Some of the boys were not nice....everyone wants to sit by the Birthday boy and see his presents...or they don't want to share bubbles...or someone doesn't want to play tag any longer.....










That's the hard part...when does Mom step in and say enough...when does Mom sit back and let Cole figure out how to react to the mean bully....

I'm excited for Cole...but also terrified. I don't want anyone to upset him or hurt his feelings. I guess that's life though and maybe the best place to start is on the playground.